Paint Preparation tips for your paint job
Did you know that 90% of paint failures are caused by bad paint application, poor paint preparation or poor workmanship? Here’s a simple guide on how to prepare paint, prepare a room for painting and how to prepare mould or fungus infected areas for painting.
How to prepare paint
- Open the can of paint with a paint-can opener or a flat screwdriver. Don’t force the lid open because this could bend the lid.
- Follow instructions on the lid. You might have to use a knife to cut through tabs on the lid before you can open it.
- Stir the paint with a stick that is long enough to reach the bottom of the paint bucket.
- Don’t thin the paint unless it is absolutely necessary. Warrior Paints are ready to be used straight from the can.
- Mix the paint!
- When you’re done with the paint, seal the can!
Tips to prepare a room for painting
- Move your furniture into the centre of the room and cover the furniture with drop clothes. Put masking tape around doors, windows and wall furnishings.
- Turn off air conditioning or heating while painting.
- If there is loose or flaky paint on the walls, sand the walls down before continuing with a new coat of paint.
- Fill nail and screw holes with caulk.
- Turn off the electricity in the room and remove the cover plates from all electrical fixtures and switches. Put masking tape over these switches.
- Remove air-conditioning vent covers